About Our Church

Acton Hill Church has been a significant part of the Acton community's architectural, religious and cultural landscape since 1907.
Venue Hire

History

The Story of the Acton Hill Church

1907 saw the laying of the corner stone of the current church on the site of “The Oaks”, The new church was to replace the earlier chapel which still exists in Gunnersbury Lane. It was designed by Gordon & Gordon, and built of Kentish rag-stone with dressings of Bath stone, with tower and Gothic detail.

 

St. Michael window, at Acton Hill Church

The windows are of particular interest being of a similar design to the Glasgow School and using Suffragette colours. There are two striking pictorial windows in the side chapel depicting St Matthew and St George.

The church originally seated 280 on the ground floor, 181 in gallery and 39 in choir (originally seated at the front either side of the organ console).

The Organ

The organ was built in 1918 by the leading London builders of the day, Gray and Davidson (who also built the organ in the ballroom at Buckingham Palace) and has been recently renovated by Bishops and Sons. The console is now situated to the side under the balcony on the right.

The organ at Acton Hill Church

Today’s Church

When Acton Congregational Church in Churchfield Road closed in 1976, an agreement was made with the United Reformed church for a merger of the congregations making the church an LEP (Local Ecumenical Partnership). The church was modernised with the installation of cloakrooms and a crèche and the interior space was made more flexible by replacing the old pews with modern chairs in 1978. The church boasts the largest unsupported wooden barrel-vault ceiling in London and also (before the 1978 changes) the largest unsupported balcony. The acoustic is phenomenal and has been frequently cited as better than the Wigmore Hall.

Architectural Details

Acton Hill Methodist Church, 1907 by Gordon and Gordon. Rubble faced with tower at north-east angle in free Gothic style. Double window to north end of nave with triple window under. Low entrance porch right. Entrance also under tower. Interior of 6 bays with apse. Four west bays with gallery on 3 sides being partly in an arched recess. Side chapels to 2 east bays to nave behind 2 bay arcade in Decorated Gothic style having an octagonal intermediate pier with moulded capital and the responds with their arch moulding continue to the floor. The east apse has a large moulded 4-centre arch with a hood-mould and contains the organ. Timber roof. South-east chapel has traceried timber screen. Four light nave windows have art-nouveau Gothic style leaded lights. All the exterior door handles are art-noveau in design.

Decorative work at Acton Hill church

Your Next Event?

Numerous public and private events, including family religious ceremonies, community activities and concerts are regularly held at the church.
Venue HireRelgious Ceremonies